Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Countdown

I leave for the airport in 27 hours. 27 hours until I am officially on my way to Korea. When I think about it I just don't know what to think. It seems like I should be experiencing some more intense emotions right now like true fear or excitement or something but at this moment I kind of just feel...numb. I really don't know what to think or feel but still it never hurts to write.

Tonight my parents took me to one of my favorite pizza places and when I arrived I quickly found out it was a surprise good-bye party. My closest friend and family where there and it was a wonderfully warm environment to be in for a couple of hours. The people sharing that pizza with me love me and I know that.

Looking forward I see that I am moving to a place that is truly foreign to me and will likely stretch me in many difficult ways. I struggle with asking strangers for help but more than likely I will soon have to be brave enough ask for help and rely on the kindness of strangers. Beyond that I truly hate being misunderstood, in a literal sense. I work very hard to communicate clearly with those around me and I am about to be in a place where I will no longer posses strong communication skills. I will have to try and figure out ways to communicate beyond simply using my words and that scares me. Even talking on the phone with some of my contacts in Korea we have had some difficulties understanding one another particularly when it comes to tone. That also makes me realize I am about to lose almost all my ability to use my sense humor as I rely heavily upon my words and tone to make jokes (twisting common phrases, idioms, puns, etc.) Now that makes me sad.

Okay, okay I'm not really sad but just in writing this post a bit of tension has crept back into my head. But there is nothing to do right now except to try and sleep and not think about how I will be leaving this country in 26 hours and 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment