Monday, November 29, 2010

How to Score a Touchdown-Doesn't God Have Better Things to Do?

I love watching football but over here in Korea that hasn’t really been possible. Most of the games that are played on Sunday happen while I’m asleep. So when I wake up Monday morning for work all the 1 o’clock games are finished and it’s about half time in the 4 o’clock games. On Mondays I don’t have any class during first period so I usually come into work and just watch football highlights of all the games that are finished until my first class starts.

Of course when you only watch highlights you only see the big plays including most of the scores. As I’ve watched touchdown after touchdown this season I keep noticing that so many players point up at the sky after they score or kneel down and bow their head so as to give credit to God or thank him or whatever. And I want to just ask them if they truly think God helped them catch the ball or run through the tackles? If the answer is yes I would be curious to ask them why they think God seems to help them on some plays as and not on others? How does God decide who should catch the ball or break a tackle? Or better yet why does God care about football at all?

There’s something about watching athletes thank God for some vain success that magnifies the problem of evil to me and just how much needless suffering exists the world, which if God is up there he truly seems to ignore.  Obviously if there really is an all-powerful being sticking its nose into football or any other sport it does not prevent it from doing other things but still at the end of the day if these athletes are right and their god does meddle in sports it does seem to make that all-powerful being come across as fairly shallow and ridiculous.

If that god were real I would tell it to wake up, stop hiding and deal with some real issues. 

And if that were too much and it needed to be involved with football at least help the Broncos win. Wait...maybe I just need to start pointing up at the sky?   






Epilogue


Talk about perfect timing. I wrote this post yesterday and then today I got to read a story about Bufflo Bills reciever Steve Johnson who dropped what would have been a game winning touchdown in overtime against the Steelers.


Johnson tweeted after the game saying to God;

"I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO..."

I couldn't help it I laughed out loud.

Now there was a huge response to this Tweet and Johnson tried to calm things down today by Tweeting;
"I learned A lot Within 24hrs. Saw Both Sides.(Ups&Dwns) I AM HAPPY & THANKFUL 4 YESTERDAY! w/out Sunday iWldnt have grew closer w/The Lord!!

And No I Did Not Blame God People! Seriously??!? CMon! I Simply Cried Out And Asked Why? Jus Like yal did wen sumthin went wrong n ur life!

Spoke To Friends Fam Teammates and Most Importantly I Spoke With My Wife. I Honestly Believe Evrything Happens For A Reason! Everything!

S/O To My Real Friends And Fanollowers! Also Major S/O To Them Bills Fans! I Don’t Play For Myself and AnyOne who know ME knows That!"

He definitely made a good effort to move away from appearing like he was actually "blaming" God for the drop but the fact that he maintains such a strong connection between football and God makes his god look foolish. He said "everything happense for a reason! everything!" which means he truly believes he dropped that ball for a reason thus while he can say he's not "blaming" God for the drop he is attributing the action to God and his will. So I guess that means God has a reason for causing or allowing certain teams to win each and every game, each and every week in each and every sport. Maybe he's just got a lot of money riding on these games in Vegas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment